Re: Knowing what you know not about what should be known

I would like to add a couple more things.
The pull of a nucleon in mass 1 on one nucleon in mass 2 is independent of
the pull on any other nucleons in mass 2. There is no shielding so the
total pull on mass 2 by any nucleon in mass 1 is just simply the pull on one
times the number of nucleons. This misconception of shielding often
confuses people when thinking about this topic.

A nucleon (neutron or proton) in mass 1 pulls on each nucleon in mass 2.
Therefore the force on the other mass is proportional to the number of
nucleons in mass 2 or the total mass in 2. But the force must be
multiplied
by the number of nucleons in mass 1 or by the mass of mass 1. Hence the
force is proportional to m1 x m2. The inverse square is actually more
mysterious to most people. But this is explainable by the idea that the
field is spread out over an area so its strength decreases as the area
increases.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

We say the the force is the product of masses

divided by the square of the distance between them,

and it is readily understandable why we say the

square of distance, since this is simply the falling

off according to the inverse square. But, why do

we say PRODUCT of masses? What is the physical

cause of that? If you know about that, I will be very grateful for your
reply. Seriously, I have NEVER gotten a real explanation of this.