Re: What is this piece of equipment?

From the Guide to Literary Terms by Jack Lynch:

" In some ancient Greek drama, an apparently insoluble crisis was solved
by the intervention of a god, often brought on stage by an elaborate
piece of equipment. This "god from the machine" was literally
a deus ex machina.

Few modern works feature deities suspended by wires from the ceiling,
but the term deus ex machina is still used for cases where an author
uses some improbable (and often clumsy) plot device to work his or
her way out of a difficult situation. When the cavalry comes charging
over the hill or when the impoverished hero is relieved by an
unexpected inheritance, it's often called a deus ex machina. "

####

You ask if this label for an improbable catharsis,
"Deus ex Machina", is of the same weight as "Theopneust"
the term for Divinely Inspired (or Expired, as the case may be.)

The idea of Divinity, as carried on stage "in the Sky" by wires,
or as whispering in the ear of prophets is difficult to resolve.
(Though I can confirm that the slightly comparable poet's
sentiment, of a Muse whispering finished verses into one's ear
has a well-known basis in experience, even if all too rare.)

On the other hand, Feynman's testament on screw jacks
in his Lectures... is easy to correct: It turns out that a
screw jack needs rather more than twice as work as a
hydraulic or pneumatic or ratchet jack for equal weight
times height.
Though the ratchet jack, that favorite farm implement,
is reactive, in that excess height is needed to set the ratchet
securely, whereon the load may sit down somewhat again.

If the screw jack's efficiency were not less than 50% it would
simply screw itself down again, hands-off, as you will easily
recognize.

Brian Whatcott