Re: Physics Textbooks

For a research based series look at "Minds on Physics", Kendall-Hunt written
by the PER group at U. Mass Amherst. This is a superb series of books.
Unfortunately it will not sell well because it is a radical departure from
conventional books. It however fits in well with the new mandate to reduce
book weight because students only carry around one slim volume at a time.
Each book challenges the brain and not the back.

PSSC may still be available.

The book written by Robert Karplus is again available, but I don't know what
level it would be suitable for. As I understand it uses interactions, the
same as MOP.

The real problem is that none of the usual commercially available books are
research based, so they probably achieve the same results. The calculus
based Serway & Beichner has some research base, but it is a compromise, and
does not treat interactions. In addition it does not use consistent
notation (Always use F for force and a for acceleration and g=9.8 N/kg, but
a_g= 9.8 m/s^2)

Rather than just writing another book that has limited effectiveness, we
need to have books that help teachers to be more effective and use the
results of PER. But remember books sell because the publishers snow the
teachers with ancillary materials such as overhead slides. Teachers then
obligingly use them for lecture despite the clear evidence that reduced
lecture and more interactive engagement is much more effective.

Incidentally true research based books are generally controlled by the
authors, and not by the publisher, so they can not be updated at the
publisher's whim. As a result the publisher may be much less inclined to
push them when they have more profitable products.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 06:14:07 -0400 Lorren Hotaling <lhotaling@MAC.COM>