Re: Do Grades Affect Student Evaluations and Course Enrollment?

Course Enrollment?" [Hake (2004)] regarding Valen Johnson's (2002)
"Grade Inflation: A Crisis in College Education," Paul Camp on 15 May
2004 10:48:22-0400 posted [in its entirety except for a repeat :-(
of Hake (2004)]:

"A mathematician's guide to grade inflation:
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2071759>."

The above URL brings up a "Slate" article by Jordan Ellenberg (2002) titled
"Do the math - Don't Worry About Grade Inflation: Why it doesn't
matter that professors give out so many A's."

A more accurate, albeit awkward, title might have been "Do the math -
Don't Worry About Grade Inflation: Why it doesn't matter that
professors give out so many A's - insofar as discriminating 'the best
from the very good, the very good from the good, the good from the
mediocre' course performance as indicated by grade point averages
from transcripts covering an entire undergraduate career."

Ellenberg wrote [bracketed by lines "EEEEEEEEEE. . . .":

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
The arguments put forward against grade inflation span all genres:
psychological (easier grading saps a student's will to achieve),
moral (a weak performance is unworthy of the letter B), Marxist
(grade inflation is a symptom of the consumerization of education),
and even geopolitical (higher grades in the humanities draw American
students away from the sciences, thereby compromising our ability to
build better weapons and deflect other people's).

One of the most powerful and popular arguments against grade
inflation is that it makes it difficult to tell one student from
another. Harvey Mansfield, a professor of government at Harvard. . .[
<http://www.gov.harvard.edu/Faculty/Bios/Mansfield.htm>. . .] and a
vocal grade-inflation foe . . . .[Mansfield (2001)]. . . ., puts it
this way: "Grade inflation compresses all grades at the top, making
it difficult to discriminate the best from the very good, the very
good from the good, the good from the mediocre."

That sounds reasonable. But it's wrong.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Ellenberg then "does the math" to purportedly show that:

"A grading scale much too coarse to separate students' performances
in a single class (for instance, the system with just two grades) can
- if it is not TOO coarse - be perfectly adequate when we have a
whole transcript to look at. . . . So, Mansfield is wrong - which
doesn't mean grade inflation is all right. There are still those
moral, psychological, Marxist, and geopolitical questions to think
of."

Then Ellenberg raises some crucial questions [also broached by
EvalTalk's Bill Harris (2004)]:

"And underlying all these questions is a deeper one: WHY DO WE GRADE?
Is the point to give students information? To reward, punish, or
encourage them? Or just to hand them over to law-school admissions
committees in accurate rank order? UNTIL WE ANSWER THIS QUESTION,
THERE'S LITTLE HOPE OF MAKING SENSE OF GRADE INFLATION. It's as if we
were bankers trying to formulate a monetary policy, but we hadn't
quite decided whether dollar bills were a means of economic
transaction or a collection of ritual fetish objects." (My CAPS)

But, despite the evidence cited by Johnson (2003) and Mansfield
(2001), is grade inflation a myth? Russ Hunt (2004) wrote: "Almost
two years ago Alfie Kohn published a piece in the *Chronicle* which,
as far as I'm concerned, made it absolutely clear that grade
inflation is a myth -- and, further, made it clear why even if it
existed it's not the problem. The article's on his Web site
<http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/gi.htm>. If someone can counter
his (I think conclusive) arguments I'll be extremely interested."

But regadless of whether or not grade inflation is a myth, I think
the validity of student evaluations for judging the cognitive impact
of courses is still open to question [Hake 2002)]. John Belcher