Re: [SPAM-3.000] Re: Feynman (was pedagogy)

A little more background,

What particularly bothered me was being deprived of the erudition of the
professor in the classroom setting; and the fact that I learned less than I
did in regular courses. (This was particularly frustrating to me because I
knew the professor was capable of giving good lectures.) This is both a
combination of less coverage and the fact that I learned only what was
necessary to earn the marks. In this system it was very clearly defined
what one needed to do for the 'A', and I did that, nothing more, nothing
less. Finished the requirement in half a quarter, and then spent time on
other things.

My personal "learning style", is that I will learn more and participate more
if the requirements are somewhat fuzzy.

I forgot, the other experience, my first quarter calculus class, the teacher
taught throught the "Texas school method"; somewhat self-paced, but we did
have lectures, where the students were supposed to generate the mathematics
in class. I quickly figured out that this class was only going to get about
half-way through the material compared to other classes and dropped the
section after one week to get into a more traditionally taught course. I've
never regretted the decision.

Joel R.