Re: Internal resistance again. COLD FUSION

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
> My foil is not pure Ti; it is Ti loaded
with deuterium. In fact, it is TiDx, where x is between 1 and 1.5
(x=number of atoms of D for each atom of Ti). I received this foil last
Friday and will try to detect rare protons with the Cr-39 detectors for
two months or so. The electric current, I was told, is important. (It
makes no sense to me, but I want to reproduce conditions used by the
researcher who discovered 3 MeV protons with electronic detectors last
year.)

Keep in mind that hydrogen (or in this case deuterium) in
such metals is extremely mobile. Consequences include:
-- The formula TiDx, should not be interpreted as
indicating that a chemical compound exists.
-- If you apply an electric field, there will be a flow
and/or concentration gradient of H/D atoms.
-- If you're not careful, the atoms will electromigrate right
out the end of your sample and into your hookup wires,
if they haven't already. This depends on what the
wires are made of, and depends on the effectiveness
of whatever barrier layers you've arranged.

I assume the point of the exercise is to set up a barrier
that doesn't conduct H or D, so that there accumulates an
elevated concentration there. The electric field is what
matters; the flow of electrons is mostly a nuisance effect
in this scenario.

There's got to be a ton of literature on this. It's been
part of the cold fusion scene since the first Pons and
Fleishmann "results" in 1989. And the general topic of
electromigration was part of legitimate physics and
chemistry for decades before that.