Re: Feynman (was pedagogy)

I will put the case more directly.

Physics is an aspect of science.
The scientific approach is to subject a claim to experimental verification.
The usual method to elicit independent verification is by making a protocol
known - to publish it in fact.

The scientific question under present review is physics teaching,
and how to improve physics teaching.

If it is found that having students develop their own understanding by
group or individual exploratory methods provides better results
than chalk and talk of the usual kind, (better results however sensibly,
objectively defined) - then physics teaching would sensibly adopt such
techniques.

Persons who do NOT think this way might profitably review their
understanding of the way scientific research makes headway?

Or to put it more directly: if you, Fernanda, do not think this way -
that this is the way that science should be conducted, why not?

Hint: if student performance is measured by student polls of teacher
performance, rather than measures of physics insight, then you would
stay with chalk and talk, it seems.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK