Selected journals

Physics Education
Volume 39, May 2004
http://www.iop.org/EJ/toc/-alert=1/0031-9120/39/3

The transit of Venus across the Sun
Arkan Simaan
2004 Phys. Educ. 39 247-251
http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/-alert=1/0031-9120/39/3/001

This article explains the significance of a transit of Venus and
relates scientists' efforts at making precise observations of
transits over the past 250 years.

The transit of Venus, 8 June 2004: a teachers’ guide to
finding
the Earth-Sun distance
Robin Catchpole
2004 Phys. Educ. 39 252-266
http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/-alert=1/0031-9120/39/3/002

Transits of Venus have been observed since the 17th century and
were
soon recognized as a way of determining the distance from the Earth
to the Sun. But just how can this be done? There are in fact four
methods and this article examines them in turn, making clear how
Venus will appear to move, what observations are required, the
calculations that follow and the relative merits of each method.

Venus
Paula Martin and Ellen Stofan
2004 Phys. Educ. 39 267-272
http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/-alert=1/0031-9120/39/3/003

On 8 June 2004 Venus will pass in front of the Sun as seen from the
Earth. Many people will watch the small dark dot cross the solar
disk, but will they stop to think about Venus as a real place? In
this article we discuss what we know about Venus, what it looks
like from orbit, what you might see if you were on the surface and
future plans for further exploration of the planet.

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SCIE BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave , Buffalo NY 14222 USA 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>