book sharing - re: Bob LaMontagne

something about your response bothers me, yet I can't quite point out the
specific reason. Maybe its this part:

"They all aspire to be professionals
and are hungry to do well because they've seen the results
of it in their own families. I feel very lucky to have
ended up here with my "rich kids"."

This implies to me that only rich kids really appreciate the hardwork
involved... I offer a different point of view:

When brought up "rich," kids get a much better start at life with smaller
class size, better equipment in school and less overall worries in life that
allow them to concentrate much more on the task at hand than other "poor"
kids can.

I on the other hand, I come from a poor country, was forced to put myself
through college by joining the Army (even if it was only for music), working
part-time jobs, all the while taking out expensive loans that I'll have to
pay back, now summing a hefty $20K.

So something as "trivial" as a book that costs $125 means working a
part-time week just to buy ONE book.

In your other response I see even more apathy of someone perhaps too out of
touch with "regular folk." And I quote:

"The $125 shouldn't be compared only to the yearly
tuition. What about lifetime earning potential changes
related to the doors that are opened by higher grades? This
is the typically short sighted attitude that pervades the
actions of the students."

Short sighted? What more would you have these kids do? Mom and dad aren't
paying for their college and they have enough diligence to put themselves
through college!! I wonder if some of your rich kids, if faced with sudden
poverty, could adapt as easily as those of us who have always made do with
what was available.

I think a little more sensitivity may be needed here...