Re: Pedagogy

I can point out some of the interesting things. I can point out some
common pitfalls. I can help a student get "unstuck" on a problem. I
can critique the student's lab report writing as well as his scientific
analysis. I can demonstrate tricky data acquisition aspects of a
particular lab setup. I can help the student perform safely in lab. I
can set an appropriate pace for the class. I can offer exams to so both
the student and the college know if the student is performing at an
acceptable level. I can certify, by my grade and my letter of
recommendation, my professional opinion on how well the student has
acheived the commonly assumed level of competency. The college
certifies, by the diploma and transcript, how well the student has met
the objectives stated in the mission of the college and the goals of the
particular major program. However... in the end... the student has to
learn the material herself.

I believe the above reasons are why a student pays tuition and spends
time at a college/university. I might have omitted a couple items, but
expecting much more from a professor/department/college than what I have
outlined above is at best wishful thinking; at worst, it leads to the
frustration expressed here (and by many students).

I have quite a few analogies to help students understand this. Here is
one...

* * *
Think of me as a docent at an art museum. I can step you through the
museum in a reasonable order of presentation. I can make sure you see
the most important pieces in the collection. I can help keep you from
getting lost. I can make sure you follow museum rules and don't hurt
yourself or the collection. I can answer questions about the artists
and their works. I can tell you which are my favorite pieces, and why.
I can suggest where you might want to stand to best appreciate a work. I
can tell you some of the things I notice about the picture. I am
pleased to listen to you describe what you notice, and what you like or
don't like.

I cannot experience the art for you. I cannot make you appreciate what
I or others appreciate. I cannot place emotions in your mind. If you
have to write a paper about your experience, I cannot write the paper
for you, nor can I tell you what to write. If you have to take an exam
to test what you learned from your visit, I cannot take the exam for
you, nor can I tell you exactly what will be on the exam. If you want
me to tell you what parts of your visit will be most valuable at some
later point in your life, I don't have a clue.

However, in spite of all the things I cannot do, I hope I made your
visit more productive as well as more enjoyable. I also would be glad
to certify that you were here, what you saw, and my impression of your
level of knowledge and participation as we discussed the art.

* * *

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton College