Re: Pedagogy

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:

I suggest that you transfer to another university
as soon as possible. The situation that you describe is
unlikely to be repeated elsewhere.

While I found some of the complaints of the student interesting, I
also found many that resonate with complaints I'm hearing more and more
from our own majors: They include

Why should have I to remember what was done in the Intro course for
the upper level courses?

Why don't you spend all the class time showing us how to do all the
problems?

Why aren't the exam problems just like the homework problems?

etc.

Demanding that a student do some learning on their own, to me is
essential. While the student is obviously unhappy, I wonder how much
transferring to another school would really solve the problem.

Mike Monce
Connecticut College (where we have 5 faculty
not 25 )