Re: [SPAM-5.611] Re: Unorthodox science projects

Robert B Zannelli wrote:

In a message dated 4/23/2004 10:01:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wilson.gonzalezespad@MAIL.ATU.EDU writes:
Have you ever SEEN a science fair project from a "Christian" perspective? If
you judge it, how the student defended his/her project? Whas was his/her
rationale in making the project? Probably you do not agree with these type of
projects, but I need to know how common they are?

Any time I see terms like Science from a Christian perspective or an Islamic
perspective, etc., alarms bells go off. What could it mean to view Science
from any particular religious perspective? In essence religion is anti-science
requiring belief without objective proof. In fact it's considered sinful in most
religions to doubt, while skepticism is one of the core values of Science. In
these days of intelligent design nonsense, or creation "science" I would view
this kind of thing as totally out of place in any real science project.
Scientists hold many different religious views but the real ones don't mix their
religious beliefs with their science.

Bob Zannelli

I agree with the alarm bells, but I would disagree strongly with the
implication "

In essence religion is anti-science requiring belief without objective proof"

Since I am a scientist, and a believer I have found that my beliefs help
my science, not hurt it. I also find that in many ways (but clearly not
all!) that science helps my beliefs.

"In fact it's considered sinful in most religions to doubt"

I tell my students, most of whom are religious people, Doubt is not a
sinful, it is what we do with our doubts that cause problems. We
encourage our students to face any doubts they have and examine the
evidence carefully that produced the doubt, and then draw some
conclusions for their life.
There are certainly religious people that fall in the category listed
who are anti-learning and believe doubt is sinful in itself - but in my
judgement that are wrong, and most of the people in my sphere feel the
same way.
I'm not sure what is actually meant by this statement

"Scientists hold many different religious views but the real ones don't mix their religious beliefs with their science."

If one has real religious beliefs, every aspect of life is a part of
that belief, including one's science.
Jmes Mackey