Re: Unworkable devices

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

>some how I think someone has posted this.
>anyway it's worth a second look.
>
>bc
> <http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm>

To set against Donald's strictures on perpetual motions, I will
mention one (of the "Atmos" kind) that should be viable.

Take two metal pipes of convenient bore, and fix them
vertically to the adjacent vertical corner surfaces of a six story
building: one to the northern face and the other to the western face.
The pipes should be fifty feet long, and be connected at the base
with a u-bend.
The top of one pipe should have a ninety degree bend, so that liquid
could escape from that pipe to the other pipe without spilling.
In the morning, while both arms of this manometer are still shaded,
it is necessary to fill the tube with kerosene, so that its surface is
an inch or so lower than the horizontal of the top bend.

In the afternoon, an hour or so after the Sun strikes the western pipe,
it begins to overflow into the shaded northern leg, and this flow continues
while the Sun shines.

[Pursuant to a list discussion elsewhere on leveling plats
with lasers or water levels]

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!