Re: car tire friction & contact area

As you will see from the responses, this can get pretty complicated with
nobody really knowing exactly the answers. However....to keep it
simple--concentrate on the rear tires of a drag racer.

1) Here the width is more about heat dissipation than friction because the
mu for a rubber, liquid rubber, and asphalt interface is really low! In
fact, watch what happens when they spin up the tires--they get higher and
more narrow!

2) The 'burn out' intentionally melts some tire material over the area from
which the car starts. Turns out that mu between 'rubber' and 'rubber' is
higher than between asphalt and rubber.

There will be more complete and complex answers--but the above is
approximately true (I think).

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: International Energy Project
energy management simulator
SIMLAB-Pendulum lab simulation
Energy 2100--class project