Re: car tire friction & contact area

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu> writes:
Is that really the case?
I have never heard that but it could be.
Does anyone have a high-school level
explanation for wider car tires that I can pass on to my students?
I have been told that at high speeds for drag slicks where the driver
intentionally gets the tires hot to up the mu, that the wider tire is a
better radiator of heat which keeps the tires form "popping".

Let's see if others have heard that or will re-educate me.

Ken Fox