Re: Our textbook

1) On Thursday, Apr 8, 2004, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

One advantage of a big text is it can later be
used for reference. However, this likely only
applies to Jr/Sr ones.

Most of my students are Jr/Sr (I know it does
not make sense for an introductory course but
that how it is at Montclair State University).
And most of them, if not all, sell the textbooks
back to the bookstore as soon as the final exam
is over.

2) John Clement revealed some aspects of the
textbook issue of which I was not aware. Let
me add another aspect. I want to illustrate it
with a specific example. Our textbook (Serway
and Faughn, "College Physics," 6th edition)
has seven chapters on E&M (from page 464
to 652). The material, as it should be, is
developed in a sequence in which one chapter
builds on what has already been covered in
those before. Deciding what to skip and how
to deal with consequences is not always an
easy task for a typical teacher. It is like
writing a new textbook.

Mos
t of us, myself included, just skip.
Knowing how much time is left, and knowing
that optics is very important for biology
students I just decided to skip Chapters
20 and 21. But in doing this I realized
that many topics on which I spent so much
time were developed essentially to prepare
students for what I am going to skip. Was
it a waste of time? The answer is not at
all obvious. It leads to a set of
questions which I hope somebody will try
to formulate. They have to do with such
issues as “what to teach?, why to teach
it? And who is to decide?”

By the way, is my university unique in