Re: Our textbook

Sorry, but there are more out there than you would think.
my biggest frustration in undergraduate school was taking
math courses. You would have a book that was so heavy that
it was just this side of becoming a black hole. Then the
boring nerd teaching the course would plow through it one
page a day - slowing proving every theorem and corollary.
You'd keep looking at the rest of the book, finding all
kinds of neat things - but you were lucky to get out of
chapter 3 by the end of the course. If this was an isolated
event I wouldn't mention it on this list. However, it
turned out to be the rule rather than the exception.

I have rarely had a physics or engineering professor who
has done anything this egregious. However, I've always felt
a bit cheated when the size of the book was double the
amount actually covered.

I would never argue that a text should be chosen because it
can be covered completely. We should choose the text that
we feel best matches the approach we would like to take.
But I fully sympathize with the point Ludwik is making.

Bob at PC