Re: entropy - motivation for definition

on 6/4/04 8:57 AM, Jim Green at JMGreen@SISNA.COM wrote:

SNIP

But even worse neither does energy flow -- it does not move -- it
does not in fact per se exist. It is a property of a system. Just as
"blue" does not per se flow, move, exist. It is a property of a system --
a property with different characteristics than energy, but they both are
properties nonetheless. As a mater of fact, energy is even more obtuse --
It is a mathematical invention.

I guess Jim fights one fight at a time, but I was sorry not to see a similar
paragraph on entropy. Let's spell it out:

But even worse neither does entropy flow -- it does not move -- it
does not in fact per se exist. It is a property of a system. Just as
"blue" does not per se flow, move, exist. It is a property of a system --
a property with different characteristics than entropy, but they both are
properties nonetheless. As a mater of fact, entropy is even more obtuse --
It is a mathematical invention.

Keep up the good fight against reification, Jim

Brian McInnes

Scanned by PeNiCillin http://safe-t-net.pnc.com.au/