Re: entropy - motivation for definition

For lack of time, I'll just give a quick example:
Isentropic flow of an incompressible fluid. A simple
analysis of the entropy flow equation for a control volume
gives that the work done by a pump driving the fluid is the
sum flow work (v delta p), kinetic energy change and
potential energy change. That's a use of entropy that
hardly fits a statistical mechanics approach. I don't think
this really qualifies as something an engineer doesn't
"need" to know.

From meteorology: The Potential Temperature of a parcel of
air is an isentropic parameter. Statistical analysis
doesn't give insight into this quantity - traditional Q/T
does.

Again, I have no problem with using statistical mechanics,
my comment was simply about using techniques appropriate to
the audience. To decide as physicists that our way is the
only way to do things smacks of arrogance.

Bob at PC