Re: Internal resistance

Terminology point: On the side of the tracks
where I grew up, "resistance" means the small-signal
resistance,

R := dV/dI

as discussed at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/resistance.htm

I am beginning to suspect that Ludwik might have
been using some other definition of R.

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

The value of r was expected to be the same for
all currents, in the range for which the power
supply was designed.

Why should we expect that? Ohm's law is not a
God-given law of nature.

> But it turned out to be
different for different currents.

I'm not surprised.

> Nowhere in our
textbooks was this possibility mentioned.

The textbook assumes that everything in the world
is ohmic? You need a better textbook, stat.

> Many numerical problems would make no
sense if r were current-dependent.

The real world would not make sense if everything
were ohmic.

> What is
wrong with testing this experimentally? What
is wrong with asking how r depends on I?

Nothing wrong. Excellent idea, actually.

How to explain the observed dependance?

Draw the (I,V) curve.