Re: Why study math?

Why study algebra. A good starting point is the Rhind Mathematical
Papyrus of 1500 (or thereabouts) b.c.e., as described in Gillings,
<Mathematics in the Time of the Pharaohs> (Dover 1972). It describes how
to calculate (without using algebra) the payment due priests who were paid
in loaves of bread and jugs of beer (apportonment problems). The point is
that the calculations are incredibly complicated, and are greatly
simplified by starting with the statement; "let x=the unknown quantity"
(suggesting an approach that is absent from most modern-day algebra
texts). Algebra, in other words, in important because it lets one solve a
whole set of problem at once by thinking symbolically. This approach is
particularly important in our present computer age, when the algebraic
formulation can be placed on a computer that generates a solution for
every specific input.

Algebra is also important for general thinking, such as (taken from an
early work of Hake):
If gravity provides that, for a body of mass m:
GMm/r^{2) =ma, then we expect that motion of bodies
wubjected only to gravitational forces (including frictional forces that
are proportional to the body's weight) should be independent of the body's
mass.
Thsee are, in our present educational system, extremely difficult
propositions for student because they do not want to reason with symbols.

Regards,
Jack