From: "alex brown" <aesbrown77@YAHOO.CO.UK>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 12:10 PM
Subject: Re: New software available

You might be interested to know that there was a recent report that there
will be energy problems similar to those experienced in Calif. occuring
within two years in the UK. I'm sure if you searched the bbc website you'll
find more details on the article. May help with your software development

Alex

Rick Tarara <rtarara@SAINTMARYS.EDU> wrote:
Please excuse my once-a-year cross posting and 'advertisement'.

For anyone who deals with national/world ENERGY concerns in their classes,
have posted a new version of my Energy Project software that allows one to
run the simulation for a number of different Regions or Countries. The
choices are:

The World, Africa, Asia, Central America, Western Europe (excluding
Scandinavia), Scandinavia, Eastern Europe (excluding Russia), Middle East,
South America
Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan,
Mexico, New Zealand, Romania, Russia, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom,
United
States.

The simulation requires the phase out of oil and gas over the next two
centuries but requires specifics on what resources will replace them. This
includes cost (capital, debt-service, replacement) and land use. With
5-year time steps the simulator can be run in a relatively short time. The
results of playing different countries can be very informative.

Energy is going to be an important issue in all of our futures and I would
encourage everyone to introduce their classes to some of the issues.
Simulations are one way to do this.

Follow the link below to view more complete software descriptions
including
other energy management simulations, photo-realistic lab simulations
(intended for pre/post lab instruction), and sets of short animations that
can be helpful as lecture aids.

Rick Tarara

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Energy Management Simulators
International Energy Project
US Energy 2004
SIMLAB-THE SIMPLE PENDULUM lab simulation
Energy 2100--class project
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ENERGY_PROJECT/ENERGY2100.htm

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today!
Download Messenger Now