Re: Dew Formation

If Levi gives an equivalent night sky temperature of 27 degC
how do you suppose ice forms by radiative cooling?

Brian W.

At 10:13 PM 3/13/2004, you wrote:
"Perhaps someone would care to try it?"

Not really.
Levi reports the atmosphere's spectral radiance as ~ > 0.8 W / m^2 - sr
- micron from 5 micron => > 20. (any angle)

From ~ 0 to 2 deg. it rises to ~ 10 X ( 8 W ...) between 7 and 14
micron *. by 20 micron it is ~ 3 W / m^2 etc. measured at ~ 3 km, 8
deg. C, and clear night. I assume no moon
I suppose this radiance is due to absorption from the earth's
radiation. It approximates a black body at 300 deg. K Would be
interesting to see how it changes with time.

bc