Re: Diplomas?

At 20:34 -0500 3/13/04, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Two or three times a week I receive spam messages
as below. Why would people buy fake diplomas and
for what purpose? How come that those who sell
them are not in prosecuted?

Only two or three a week? I get two or three per day. they offer me
degrees from "Distinguished non-accredited institutions." Kind of
like those ads for sex aids that offer "genuine simulated
aphrodisiacs."

Why do people buy them? for the same reason that they bought term
papers--so they can enjoy the benefits of education without actually
having to get any. Why aren't the purveyors arrested? Because, alas,
it is not illegal in many states to sell phony college degrees. You
can even get faked degrees from legitimate colleges. Those are
forgeries, of course, and that is illegal almost everywhere. But not
too many people are doing that anymore since they can sell the far
superior ones from the "Distinguished non-accredited institutions"
and have much less chance of running afoul of the law.

I suspect that for the most part the only ones who are fooled by
these diplomas are the poor schnooks who are dumb enough to buy them.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams