Re: Electrical Wire Safety

Single Wire, Earth Return [SWER] systems are the bicycles of
the World's (power) Transport system. They are used where
the lowest cost method must be chosen to serve very low density
rural routes abroad.

Though the Earth return is said to be carried along a wide area
cross section of terrain, the domestic feeds are in the usual form:
transformer line outputs with a grounded neutral center-tap.
This slide-show gives the general idea:
<http://www.stonepower.se/Images/SWER.pdf>

Brian W