Temperature applied to small group of particles

Is the term temperature of a system of say, 50 particles meaningful? If
not What macroscopic(?) state variable would be most appropiate to define
the energy of the system? Intuatively I don't think you can define temp
here as there are not enough particles to give a statistically accurate
measure of the speed. By this I mean that the velocity of a particular
particle could easily be far away from the mean speed and hence skew the
results. Infact maybe the mean speed is not even appropiate in this
system...maybe modal is bettter.

Can I get any measure of the energy of the system?

Thanks
for any ideas.

Alex