Re: Paying to present

I think Dwight should present the organizers an honorarium bill. Repeat
it every month and add 1/2% interest after 60 days, just as do the other
pros.

This contretemps reminds me of how well the NCNsection AAPT observes
what ME's questions imply, etc.

A Marxist would say, whatd ayou expect; it's the natural evolution of
capitalism. How well compensated are the organizers?

bc

Michael Edmiston wrote:

I do not have a good solution to the problem of financing conferences
and publications, but I admit I am often upset about it.

When I have worked at places (such as national lab) that paid all my
expenses to go to a meeting, even if I was not presenting, I was amazed
at the overall cost, but I didn't have to pay it, so I did not complain.

Now I am in a situation where the annual amount my employer will pay
(even if I present) barely covers the registration fee, and I get stuck
with transportation, meals, and lodging. Also, if I publish a paper in
a journal with page charges, my employer will not pay. Yet, I am
expected to attend conferences and pursue a modest number of
publications as part of "keeping current in my field."

I often wonder if conferences have become things that can only be
attended by people who have generous support from their employers, while
others are simply left out or have to pay substantial costs personally.

I, myself, am likely to attend regional meetings I can drive to, and I
appreciate it best when these are held in cities where it is possible to
stay in reasonably-priced motels that are fairly conveniently located
with respect to the meetings. Sadly, there aren't too many of these,
and those that exist sometimes (but not always) have registration fees
as high as national meetings.

Some of the questions I have are...

(1) Are conference planners making any attempts to keep costs down?
(2) Could registration fees be graduated according to the size or type
of the participant's employer?
(3) Should there be more regional or state meetings held in smaller
cities where it is assumed the participants will drive, and could the
registration fees be held in check a little better than the national
meetings?

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton College