Re: polarization

Yeah, folded dipole is 300 Ohms; a 1/4 w/ ground plane is, if I
remember correctly, 55 or 75.

[That's why 58 or is it RG 59/U (and RG 8 & 9) has that impedance, and
twin lead is designed to be 300-- this reminds me of a book set named
lost technology. I just received one -- it's what I did in the 50's.
God I'm getting old!]

I already answered this problem on the original thread: use a dipole
receiver to check (detmn.) the polarization. Since the output of a 723
is ~ 25 milliW. one must use a diode and EMF detector (DMM) instead of
a lamp. I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect a bare 723 w/ a gnd.
plane might work (the gnd. plane produces an image, so it acts "like" a
dipole.

There exists wave guide to coax adapters. 3 cm is long enuff so one can
make a balun to drive a dipole (folded or not). Consult any old? Radio
Amateurs Handbh. The Cenco:

http://www.mjs-electronics.se/images/Diverse/80422.jpg

Is another soln. Possibly available on the used market. I understand
it's S-band ~ 10 cm. [thanks to a PHYS-L member.]

BTW, Pasco makes a microwave dipole (they claim the diode is the same
one they use in transmitter. (maybe they mean the wave guide recvr.?)
I found it rather ineffective, until I cut away some of the traces to
make it shorter *.

Another example of Pasco's nodding: They claim their IR detector is
"good" to 20 microns. w/ a sapphire window -- I pointed out they mean 2
microns. The newer ('03) catalog is to 30 microns; KBr or salt????
The IR thermometer Radio Shack has on sale this month is rather good.
Unfortunately it doesn't have a separate preamp. Just one chip to:
reference, preamp, and drive the display. I hope soon to remove the
sealed gas filled thermopile -- At $40 it may be the least expensive
source for one.

* The war surplus 723 stuff isn't interchangeable w/ Pasco's. I had to
use a receiver w/ moveable short in order to tune it to receive the Gun
xmitter.

bc, who again announces: has complete [except power supplies] x-band
demo. sets; inexpensive (very) or trade for your surplus stuff.

p.s. Leigh describes another Cenco app. In that case, the power (801A
tubes in push-pull) is sufficient to power a flash (torch for LP) lamp
in the middle of the dipole (not folded) receiver at, at least, 5
meters. The wave length, however, is, like JC's, ~ one to three meters.

Leigh Palmer wrote:

Brian Whatcott suggests:

If waveguides were too rarified, perhaps a twin line with dipole
termination would be more to the student taste... Its polarization
is less easily gainsaid, possibly?

Yes, that would be good, though I don't know what you mean by "dipole
termination". I wouldn't like to have to manipulate the "cake grids" of
size sufficient to do the demonstration with the long waves I envision
coming from a simple half-wave dipole. The grid must be large enough to
transmit a significant beam power and also block signal from
diffracting around it. X-band microwaves are an ideal collimated source
for domestic cake grids in this respect.

Can someone suggest an appropriate dipole radiation source and
receiver? John Cochran, a colleague of mine here at SFU, once made a
Hertzian dipole oscillator transmitter and a receiver based on a folded
dipole about 1.5 meters long. The receiver had a diode and a (battery
biased) neon lamp at the feed point. The receiver was mounted so it
could be rotated from vertical to horizontal, demonstrating the
polarized nature of the radiation from the Hertzian oscillator. The
demo worked well, but no cake grids were (nor could have been)
employed. I don't know why he used a folded dipole instead of the
conceptually simpler simple dipole. I asked him and he doesn't
remember, either. The voltage developed at the feed point should be
twice as high with a folded dipole, I think.

Leigh