Re: polarization

At 08:29 PM 3/2/2004, Leigh, you wrote:
I said:

>> The student must accept his instructor's initial premise that the
>> incident microwave radiation has the polarization he alleges.
>> It is all a bit of a swindle, you see, so I say that one should
>> swindle on the side of the angels.....

and Brian Whatcott replied:

> I expect that given a waveguide of the usual rectangular form,
> and given that one accepts that the emergent e field is parallel
> to its short side for the usual propagation mode, then one
> would see that the e field is normal to the pickets of a
> cake-tray polarizer?

That is my point. The student will only be able to accept that as
received knowledge. He won't be sophisticated about plumbing.

Leigh

If waveguides were too rarified, perhaps a twin line with dipole
termination would be more to the student taste... Its polarization
is less easily gainsaid, possibly?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!