Re: pronunciation of component

As a S.African/British English speaker I of course put the stress on the
second syllable. But I wanted to draw attention to another physics word
that I was surprised by. I had always pronounced what an electron does
between energy levels as a tran-zi-shun, without a second thought, until
some years ago when on an exchange in the US I found that my class seemed
amused by this. They said it should be tran-si-zhun. Or was it the other
way round? Anyway, in this case the dictionary said both were correct.
Perhaps it polled 50/50.

Mark