Re: pronunciation of component

Standard American English puts the stress on the first syllable except when
the word is obviously foreign (French), or the name of a famous person.

The best example of this is cigarette. The accent has been slipping over
time from the last to the first syllable. (Eventually maybe the word will
vanish) However, there was a man whose family name was originally Cornhill
because at some time they grew wheat on a hill. When he was born his name
was pronounced Korn-ill with the stress on the first syllable. However when
he became famous the stress was placed on the last syllable and to this day
the institution he founded is called Cornell (with the stress on the last
syllable).

Webster's generally gives the current common usage, but some dictionaries
still prescribe usage. Originally Webster did prescribe spelling and
pronunciation which was different from the English standard.

I would say go with which ever you like.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

What is the correct pronunciation of "component" as in "vector component",
i.e., which syllable is the most stressed? I've heard both of the first
two syllables receive the stress (from different pronouncers, or in
different circumstances). Short of any real authoritative reply (which
can
be almost impossible in questions of grammar and pronunciation), I'd be
content with a poll of Phys-L'ers.

Thanks,
Larry