Re: Potential of a point charge(gravitaional variety)

Rather than answer the question(s) as stated, I'm going to
make some remarks that I hope are helpful ... perhaps not
infinitely helpful, but the best I can do.

There are some thorny problems here. At the root of it all,
mathematics offers us some lousy notation. Some of it is
self-inconsistent, so that almost anything we write therewith
is open to misinterpretation. Fortunately, some better notation
is also on offer.

Suggestion: When I am trying to think clearly or write clearly,
I find it helpful to avoid writing "dx" or "d(anything)" except
in one of the following three very specific contexts:
1) The notation for integrals (i.e. integral y dx) is
pronounced "integral of y with respect to x" and we
say dx denotes the measure.
2) The notation for derivatives "dy/dx" is pronounced
"derivative of y with respect to x"
3) By itself, dx can represent a vector, namely the exterior
derivative of x.
In particular, I have learned to avoid interpreting "dx" as
some sort of "infinitesimal" and I do not willingly consider
dy/dx to be the ratio of infinitesimals.

Note that in *none* of my three cases does it make sense to
talk about whether dx is positive or negative. For example,
if we have a derivative dy/dx that happens to be negative,
I don't know whether that's because dy is negative while
dx is positive, or vice versa. The derivative is a well-
defined well-behaved creature, while dx in this context is
not. We would have to pronounce "dx" something like "with
respect to x" which is clearly an uninterpretable fragment
of a sentence.

Similarly in an integral, I have no idea what dx means until
you tell me whether we are integrating from A to B or from B
to A ... and if A and B are points in a multidimensional
space you need to tell me the path along which we are integrating.

Possibly constructive suggestion: whenever you see something
like "dx" or "dr" by itself, try to turn it into an honest
derivative (rather than a differential) perhaps by "dividing"
(ugh!) by dt or something. The other possibility is to try
interpreting it as an exterior derivative, which makes dx a
vector (specifically, a one-form, if you care to distinguish
one-forms from pointy vectors).

Applying these suggestions to the gravitational potential Phi
(which is a scalar field) we obtain del Phi, which is a well-
defined vector field, directed everywhere radially outward.
The force is also a well-behaved vector field
F = - del Phi
and F is directed everywhere radially inward.

Infinitesimals bad. Vectors good.

(BTW: plain text good for list.
Markup bad for list, especially when it's invalid markup.)