Re: energy-efficient windows

In Sweden I watched my host clean the windows. She unlatched and
separated the panes mounted in WOOD. Of course, everything in Sweden is
made of wood, but I suspect the improvement using wood over Al is more
than a third pane.

bc

Brian Whatcott wrote:

A popular history with some slight relevance:

Once incandescent lamps were vacuum filled.
Then a nitrogen back fill increased life by reducing filament sputter.
But more energy was convected / conducted to the envelope.
Coiled coils helped conserve heating effect.

Then an argon, or better, a krypton fill was introduced,
to reduce heating of the envelope.

If envelope temperatures were not so high, it's possible that a plastic
jacket would conserve more energy inside. This might be the basis of
the e-coatings, possibly?

Musings on triple-glaze.
If double glazing reduced aperture loss by 50%, then another double glaze
would arguably reduce it another 50%, an aggregate of 75% reduction.
But if the break even period were 7 years for double, then for two double
glazes, it's conceivable the payback period would be 21 years.
That's too long.

Brian W

cut