Re: Total Internal Reflection

To get reflection or refraction, the paths involved must obey Fermat's
principle (see Feynman's delightful book, QED, for the reasons.) The
principle says that the path must be a minimum or maximum to get
constructive interference at a particular angle. The is no minimum path
for refraction when the conditions for total internal reflection are met
- hence no constructive interference to give a unique direction to the
refracted light. The internally reflected light still has the usual
minimum path.

Bob at PC

SSHS KPHOX wrote:

A point of curiosity, if you can help.

A wave is traveling from a slow to a faster material. At the critical
angle the wave is totally reflected. I know the math. I know the argument
that the exiting wave has a limited finite speed and can play Huygens'
principle to get all the way to the critical angle. One would think a HS
teacher should be happy. We know it happens and we can solve problems
about it happening but I cannot answer the very curious student (me
included) who wants a deeper understanding, a mechanism for this
happening. My assortment of texts did not do it for me. Can any of you?

Actually, I am not sure I can adequately explain why reflection works the
way it does in general.

Happy Friday!

Ken Fox