CR-39, student-oriented projects

OOPS,
I did not mean to post a semi-private message
on the list. But since it was done here is a little
explanation; perhaps somebody else will be
interested.

CR-39, as you can check on Google, is a
plastic material often used to detect charged
particles, for example, alphas from radon in
your basement. It is like a nuclear emulsion,
you develop it in KOH and observe tracks
under the microscope (magnification 100 is
OK) or by using an overhead projector,
(which I did not try). In England they use the
CR-39 detectors to introduce high school kids
to nuclear topics. For more details on this
topic see the URL at Bristol University:

http://home.clara.net/camplin/TNotes/Conts.htm

It would be nice if five people were willing
to invest $100 each to order to place a
minimum order, as described in my message.
===================================
P.S.
I plan to use CR-39 in a cold fusion project.
This will be done in close cooperation with
Steven Jones, the one who started the whole
thing, even before Fleischmann and Pons.
He is observing 3 MeV protons with a pair
of scintillator detectors and with SI detectors,
as reported at the conference that I attended
last August. If these protons are real, as he
claims, then I should be able to see them
with CR-39.

I would be happy to have somebody working
with me on that project. Please contact me
in private, if you are interested.

Ludwik Kowalski
kowalskil@mail.montcalr.edu

On Friday, Jan 30, 2004, at 08:08 America/New_York, Ludwik Kowalski