Ultrasonic imaging

In preparation for tomorrow class I am reading
our textbook explanation of ultrasonic imaging.
I have no reason to think that what is said by
the authors (pages 427 and 428 in College
Physics, by Serway and Faughn, 6th edition)
is wrong. But it is not sufficient for me to
understand, for example, how this method
can produce the image of a fetus on the screen.

Do they use a single crystal or an array of
crystals to generate and to detect waves?
Beams of ultrasonic waves from a single
source probably travel in different directions
at the same time. The ultrasonic imaging
seems to be much more difficult to understand
than imaging with X-rays. Please provide a
satisfactory explanation, if you have one.
Ludwik Kowalski