Re: Curves and manual transmissions

I think the main reason for going into a curve slow, then accelerate, is
because it is safer than doing the opposite.

For the given road conditions and particular car and tires there is a
maximum speed that works. However, the driver doesn't know ahead of
time what that speed is. Even if the curve is a familiar curve, this
time it might be wet, icy, have some stones on it, have an oil slick on
it, etc.

Consider two scenarios... (1) I don't slow down enough before the curve
and realize once I am in the curve that I am going too fast. I realize
this because I am already in the process of losing control. (2) I slow
down too much before the curve and realize once I am in the curve that I
could be going faster, so I accelerate.

Which of the two scenarios would you prefer to be in?

Also note there is no reason to accelerate (in a major way) while you're
still in the curve if you are not in a race. The idea of major
acceleration coming out of a curve is for racers or perhaps guys who are
trying to pretend they are James Bond. I don't deny I have done that,
but not because it is a good idea. Believe it or not, there was also a
time that I "peeled out" from stop signs, and I used to try to beat my
time record driving across town without getting a ticket. I'm a little
more mature now.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton College