Re: who really "knows his/her stuff"?

I think Joe has opened many cans.

First I take great exception with his last paragraph (maybe tongue in
cheek?). My first wife is a pianist and for a time very much in demand,
in an admittedly small town, as an accompanist. When I was at Keele she
taught music at one of the local infant schools. She would buy the
latest Beetles records to use as examples -- She said they were as good
as the three B's for teaching and more approachable to the students.
The Stars are composers, arrangers, PR experts, etc. in addition to
being performers. They practice just as much as classical musicians. I
remember in an interview of a very famous star being asked who was his
favo. musician, with no hesitation, JSB. I later learned he'd had a
classical ed., as I think many have.

Given this situation, I can think of three ways an applicant without
the
preferred degree can get careful consideration. (1) The applicant
knows
someone who knows someone... (2) The applicant is already in the
institution in a lower-level position and has proven to be an
exceptional talent. (3) The number of preferred-degree applicants is
very small or zero.

Neither (1) nor (3) even remotely hint at instructional competence.

I voiced the same objection ("old boys' network") to Garrett Hardin who
pointed out that the network had a responsibility to recommend good
people -- it would reflect badly if the recommendee failed to "live up".

I think Joe's other points are serious and point out the elitist nature
of Drs. (not very new)

bc, who thought research was supposed to be confined to U's.