Re: PER vs EdD (SciEd)

On Jan 20, 2004, at 3:34 PM, John Denker wrote:

Quoting "Edmiston, Mike" <edmiston@BLUFFTON.EDU>:

Will the chemistry courses be taught by "real chemists."
Will the history classes be taught by "real historians." In this
context I think "real" means that the person has done and/or is doing
physics research

That's the right way to say it. Somebody should get the
physics teaching job based on whether they REALLY know
their stuff and REALLY know how to teach it ... and
possessing a piece of sheepskin that says PhD on it is
neither necessary not sufficient.

At last...someone else sees the truth.

I agree, based on what I've seen published in the PER literature,
that a PER degree is not reliable evidence of competence in physics,
nor in education, nor in research.

I would argue that proficiency in instruction IS proficiency in physics
because to convey the physics one must first understand it. Then again
getting a degree in PER doesn't always involve much actual
instructional experience. I hope I'm wrong about that though.

Said another
way, are the courses going to be taught by "practicing physicists"
where
practicing means doing actual physics or having done/published actual
physics

Right.

How about where "practicing" means having had actual classroom
experience beyond what a TA gets in grad school?

My fingers were cramping again.

Cheers,
Joe Heafner -- Astronomy/Physics Instructor