Re: Martian Sky Colour

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu> writes:
Looking out of my window through the bare trees outside, I observe that
the
earth sky is grey!

As I look out the window at the cool dry sky of Colorado, USA, I see blue.
When up higher in the mountains yesterday, it was a darker blue. When at
sea level in the summer, it is a lighter blue indeed. I have always
believed the color was a scattering event where atmospheric conditions
(density, humidity, smog) determined the color.

I've seen pictures from Spirit showing a red sky, and websites suggesting
that the colour balance has been (deliberately!?) distorted. Other
versions
of the same pictures show a blue or a white sky.

With the digital images, it is hard to know the true colors of Mars' sky.
What is a novice observer like myself to believe?

Ken Fox