Re: The End of Hands-On Science Activities in California's K-8 Classrooms?

In his provocative PhysLnrR post of the above title, Seth Rosenberg
(2004) wrote (bracketed by lines "RRRRRRRRR. . . ."]:

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
. . . . The elements that are under attack in CA . . .[see e.g. Woolf
& Hake (2004), Hake (2004)]. . . are things that Dewey knew about
100 years ago - why are they under attack now? Why, after 100 years,
is only a tiny fraction of science courses taught in a meaningful and
progressive way? Well, it could either be that everyone before us did
it wrong, and we're going to do it right, or maybe there are
systematic resistive mechanisms that are keeping education in a
transmissionist model. . . . . .

I claim that all these resistive factors . . . are simply aspects of
a highly complex, stable system that moves back to equilibrium when
perturbed (it may find new stability points - equally
non-progressive). What is the equilibrium point? Our educational
system is directly tied to our economic system: schools prepare
children to be workers - however, the primary preparation is not
skills or knowledge - it is social. The majority of jobs in America,
and the world, involve fragmented repetitive tasks in a hierarchical
and authoritarian environment. The very few control nearly all of
the economic resources and set the rules for our economy - they
determine production, how the jobs are done, and how the workplace is
run. . . . Research has shown that workers in these workplaces are
rewarded if they are obedient, and are not if they are independent
and creative. Guess what - the exact same correlation was found in
the schools as well! . . . .

Societies evolve - and therefore they must develop and evolve
stabilizations mechanisms that keep the society running - that stop
dissent, and quell revolt. Education is one of the primary mechanisms
to do this in our society.
However, the evolution is not simply random - it works around a
center of insuring a system that will profit the few at the expense
of the many. How else could a society with such extreme differences
between rich and poor, with the most unbalanced concentration of
wealth in history, continue to exist - unless there are mechanism,
like education, to make people (both workers, and people like us feel
that it is normal and sensible? . . . our community has tended to
push for reform without studying the history of what has been tried
before, without considering our goals, without considering the fact
that there may be systematic resistive forces - unless we begin to
look at our reform efforts in a large context, we can have little
hope of success.
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Similar points have been made by Rosenberg (2003) and Mahajan et al. (2003).

I agree with Seth that we should study the sad history of attempted
reforms in the U.S. educational system, but (IMHO) his thesis that
its massive inertia is due to systematic resistive forces exerted by
a privileged class may be somewhat problematic.