Re: The End of Hands-On Science Activities in California's K-8 Classrooms? - PART 2

Huh, Carl? What's that assumption based on? I'm in my fourth year as a
high school teacher, and my impression of my colleagues is that we are
anything but stagnant. Three of us were enrolled in a course last fall
dealing with research related to various teaching methodologies, we host
pre-service teachers (this serves as an excellent link to current
developments in pedagogy), and I anxiously anticipate the arrival of my
new issue of the Physics Teacher every month. All this of course paid
for by me, while I still work to pay off my bachelor's degree. It's a
bit much to chew off while trying to supplement my income with other
sources (coaching, summer jobs). I assure you that my day does not
start at 8 and end at 4 with plenty of time for sunning myself in the
summer, so count to five next time before you fire off a blanket
statement about classroom teachers...
Cheers,
Matt

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a
very narrow field."

- Niels Bohr