Re: test grades

Memory from a few years ago: It's common in Salinas HS dist. for
students and their parents to sign a contract in which they agree to do
the home work etc. Tho. I taught long term sub. I didn't read what they
signed for the previous teacher, If I had and "updated it" I (and they)
might have done much better. At the end the chair and I passed (D) many
who shouldn't, but I hadn't given them a mid term warning.

Initially I made clear that their grade was based only on quizzes and
tests with the lowest one each not included, and, therefore, no make
ups w/o Dr's. note, etc. I've found, contrary to JH's experience a very
strong correlation between home work, labs., and tests. Nevertheless, I
do use them to push students "above the line" (also announced). Also I
reward improvement i.e. the final counts more if it is better than the
other tests.

BTW, I noticed extensive cheating, which was unheard of when I went to
school (both private and public).

Some data: I taught (FT) 3 2nd 1/4 chem. classes. the First two were
required for the health program. The third was optional and rather
small, ~ 12. Only one or two C's rest B and A's. Over half the total
A's were earned in the latter class. At first I thought the diff. was
due to the class size, but of course, much was due to 1st 2 being a
requirement. I went at a faster rate than the previous teacher (1st
1/4), but slower than the chair's rate. Much of my trouble (only in the
1st two) was, I expected adult behavior, and, stressed by the
administration, the previous teacher left w/o warning to be principal at
a nearby middle school. The students' reaction was new to me, but
expected by the VP who also several times told me they were kids in
adult bodies. He was the "disciplinarian and now is the Principal.

bc