Re: Jupiter (was PERIHELION etc.)

"There one more calculation I would like to make.
But I do not have the information needed. What
is the fraction of the mass of our planet due to
potassium? Knowing this number, and assuming
the percentages are the same on both planets
(if elements with Z<4 are ignored) I would
calculate the mass of Jupiter due to elements
above lithium. Comparing the result with the
known mass of Jupiter (all elements, including
H and He which are dominant) would help to
argue for or against the hypothesis that K-40
is responsible for the unexplained energy
emitted by Jupiter. But I must stop and go to
the airport now. I will be away for six days.
Ludwik Kowalski"

That's a good one -- no one's been to the core or mantle either. In the
crust it's high (lotsa sources including the CRC).

So:

"Our new findings indicate that the core may contain as much as 1,200
parts per million potassium -just over one tenth of one percent," Lee
said. "This amount may seem small, and is comparable to the
concentration of radioactive potassium naturally present in bananas.
Combined over the entire mass of the Earth's core, however, it can be
enough to provide one-fifth of the heat given off by the Earth."

Lee and Jeanloz will report their findings on Dec. 10, at the American
Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco, and in an article accepted
for publication in Geophysical Research Letters."

http://www.brightsurf.com/news/dec_03/EDU_news_121503.php

bc, who, and the above? assume(s) the isotopic abundance K-40 / all K
is the same thruout the earth.

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Thanks for correcting me, Robert.

Let me go over the beginning of my original
note. The 1400 W/m^2 for Earth and and

cut