Re: Basketball and Global Warming

Science (AAAS) a few years back reported as a result of a rather extreme
"El Niño" the earth had slowed (detectable using the newer clock
technology (cesium?) after the El Niño had "passed" the earth's rotation
was back to "normal".

bc, who thinks the expansion of the oceans due to global warming will do
the same.

Richard Tarara wrote:

The variation on this--If all the Chinese jump off a 1 meter high
step-stool at the same time.....

I have no problem with the conservation of momentum but have more of a
problem with the position part. I'm sure part of the analysis has to do
with the act of climbing up the stool steps, but what I have trouble with
is that the 'last' thing in the problem is the force of the feet hitting
the earth. We tend then to think of this force as one that would drive the
earth away from the feet. However, to conserve linear momentum and the
position of the COM, this force needs to STOP the earth from moving and
needs to stop the earth back at it's initial position (before the climbing,
jumping, and landing). I'm not sure I have all the motions straight in my
head, so I'll leave it for someone else to explain the whole thing in
detail! I suspect we need to look at the impulses (of the falling Chinese
on the earth versus their feet hitting the earth), but what about as they
climb the steps--moving farther away from the center of the earth and
pushing 'down' to do so. ;-)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE: Windows and Mac Instructional Software