Re: Basketball and Global Warming

I try to get students to look at these conceptual problems from a
variety of 'extreme' points of view.

For instance, let's say that the earth has a mass EQUAL to the
sum-total mass of the entire Chinese population.. Consider massless 1
meter high step ladders that each will climb.

Remember that the CM will ALWAYS be fixed in space unless there is
some external force.

Does that help the picture clear up any????

or try it with just ONE ladder climber and the earth's mass equal to hers.