Re: Second law in the microscopic scale

Essentially yes. If N is the number of particles in the system,
then the random-fluctuation probability is like 1/sqrt(N) - See Landau and
Lifshitz introduction.
Jack

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

and I suppose the "largeness" of the system is defined statistically?

bc

Jack Uretsky wrote:

Sloppy talk. I really meant to say that the entropy concept is
essentially statistical. I understand the second law to be a statement
that in very large systems, statistical fluctuations from mean values are
so small as to be miraculous when they occur.
Landau and Lifshitz probably understood thermodynamics as well as
anyone, I recommend their book for further guidance.