Re: Derive energy from angular KE of earth?

I offer this 'anti-physicist' thought.
No observable effect at all depends on whether a physicist can explain it.

So I will, instead :-)
If there were a physicist's kind of gyroscope - you know, the one with
frictionless
bearings and zero air resistance and no eddy current losses, then we can
say the
gyro's momentum would remain intact, and the stored momentum of the Earth
changes as electrical power is generated (in Leigh's idealization).

It is this change that is comparable to tidal drag (at least, if the gyro
is in the
polar regions.) The change of Earth momentum
is countered by the change in Earth Moon momentum as I recall.
I am tempted to suppose that in lower latitudes, there can be
precessional modes
excited, but I have not thought much about the differences....

If we have to cope with an engineer's gyro, then the enhanced side force on
the gyro's pivots allow that device to spin down and lose momentum too.

Merry Christmas.
Brian W