From: Ludwik Kowalski [mailto:kowalskil@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 12:45 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: New elements

Pushing of limits continues. Claims for the
production of elements 112, 114 and 116
by scientists from GSI (Germany) and Dubna
(Russia) were declared to be "encouraging"
but "confirmation from further results is needed."

On the other hand, a scientific collaboration
led by Sigurd Hoffmann at the GSI laboratory
(Gesellschaft fur Schwerionenforschung) was
officially recognized for the discovery of the
elements 111. The International Union of Pure
and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) and its physics
sister (IUPAP), have officially approved the naming
of the element 110, also discovered by GSI. The
element 110 will be know as darmstadtium (Ds).
The name for the element 111 is not shown in the
short article on which this message is based (CERN
Currier, December 2003, page 6) I suppose the
name will soon be chosen by those who discovered it.

How many on this list are old enough to remember
discoveries of elements named americium (Am),
curium (Cm), berklium (Bk), californium (Cf),
einsteinium (Es), and fermium (Fm)? How many
have heard about elements named mendelevium
(Md), nobelium (No), bohrium (Bh) and meitnerium
(Mt)? By the way, it is remarkable that two
transuranic elements (Cm and Mt) were named to
honor famous women.
Ludwik Kowalski