Computer Tutorial on the Periodic Table (was "Fwd: [works4me] Stocking Stuffers, Proof of Purchase and Calling Cards")

In his Math-Learn post of Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:57 pm, titled "Fwd:
[works4me] Stocking Stuffers, Proof of Purchase and Calling Cards,"
Chris <Cmpalmer2@aol.com> forwarded a question that appeared on
"works4me," evidently sponsored by "Our Web Location"
<http://www.OWL.org>, a part of the National Education Association
(NEA) <http://www.nea.org/> [see also
<http://www.OWL.org/aboutnea.jsp>].

The question from Frances Jolley (a computer lab facilitator at East
St. John High School in Reserve, Louisiana) was:

"[I] need information for secondary students taking Chemistry. I am
looking for a website that will allow interaction between student and
computer for the Periodic Table in Chemistry. The software we
previously used was DOS based and is not available anymore. It
allowed the student to interact with the computer to complete the
elements, as well as other scientific areas. I've spent quite a bit
of time researching, and have not found a good site. Most of the
sites I find have lesson plans but do not involve the interaction
with a computer. Please assist us if possible. Thanks for any help
you can give."

I don't have the answer to Frances Jolley's question, but I suspect
that the answer might be forthcoming from subscribers to Discussion
Lists (DL's) with archive URL's as indicated:

AP-Physics
<http://lyris.collegeboard.com/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?site=collegeboard&enter=ap-physics>

Chemed-L <http://mailer.uwf.edu/archives/chemed-l.html>,

Physhare <http://lists.psu.edu/archives/physhare.html>,

Phys-L <http://lists.nau.edu/archives/phys-l.html>,

PhysLrnR <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/physlrnr.html>.

As a test of that conjecture, I am cc'ing this post to those DL's and
will (this time only) forward any answers that appear to
<Cmpalmer2@aol.com> and <FJolley@stjohn.k12.la.us>.

In my Math-Learn post "Lively Academic Listservs" (Hake 2003):

1. I wrote: "Discussion lists (DL's) provide a potential way to
surmount disciplinary barriers, caused in part by the traditional
departmental structure of universities. The potential of the web as a
mechanism for promoting interdisciplinary synergy in education reform
is emphasized and schematically pictured on page 3 of Hake (2000)."

2. I give URL's and instructions for subscribing to, unsubscribing
from, and monitoring about 30 DL's dedicated to various subjects:
e.g., AP courses, academic organization, astronomy, chemistry,
evaluation, mathematics, philosophy, physics, research methodology,
teaching and learning, and statistics.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>